General Welfare/Migration Checklist
From Filipino Student Council of NSW< General Welfare
For other visas, please go to the following links:
Migration and Citizenship
Shortlisted occupations can be your way to eligibility for permanent residency or citizenship. Check the shortlisted occupation list and see if your profession matches the demand in the labour market. You may explore the following links:
- Rent in Sydney is very expensive. It's quite normal to have rental cost account for around 50% of ones monthly expense.
- A decent accommodation in Newcastle will be from $140-185/week. While Sydney's price will be twice as much as Newcastle.
- You may go to https://flatmates.com.au/ or use your university's on-campus and off-campus website.
If you are a permanent resident, good on you as you have Medicare to cover your basic health insurance. However, if you are on a student visa, you will need to subscribe to private health insurance.
- CBA offers $0 minimum balance at no fee to the student.
- ANZ offers $0 minimum balance at no fee to the student.
- NAB offers $0 minimum balance at no fee to all.
- See types of opal cards here: https://www.opal.com.au/
- Philippine Driver's License is valid for international students. You may also apply and convert your Philippine Driver's License to Australian Driver's License. Know your Driving privileges here: https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/index.html
Secondary (but equally important) Needs
Unfortunately, there are not many Filipino restaurants here in NSW. See [CulturalPromotion.Location.WebHome| list of establishments] which is our attempt to collate the different restaurants and groceries around NSW.
No man is an island. We recommend you joining or even establishing a local Filo society!